LETTER


Letter
Translation by Leoncio P. Deriada

Mother,
I dropped your letter when the postman
handed it
it was very heavy even if it was only a
page
the charcoal-black ink was too
concentrated
maybe it seeped through the paper
and stained your kitchen table
but at the bottom of the paper
the other words changed color
like islands when beheld
I looked which part was Antique
Mother, I could not read your letter
anymore
many more islands appeared
the page was filled
whatever you said about Father
and my younger brothers and sisters
may God have pity on them
Mother, don’t write to me anymore
let us not overwork the postman
some more
save on ink
so that your kitchen table will not stain
and the islands
I don’t want to see them again.
lovingly,
your child.

WORKS CITED
Deriada, Leoncio P., ed. Patubas An Anthology of West Visayan Poetry: 1986-1994. Manila: The National 
Commission for Culture and the Arts, 1995.

No comments:

Post a Comment